Saturday, February 5, 2011

Field Notes Exercise

I observed the workout gym upstairs in the Beaman Student Life Center.

1. what surprised me?

When I observed the workout gym yesterday, it was interesting to watch every single person in the workout room at once. Usually I'll observe people while I am working out but I don't get to see EVERY person. It was surprised at how many people were doing cardio as opposed to weights. Also, it was funny to see the different people that were doing exercises wrong because they didn't know the right form.

2. What intrigued me?

My field working project for the semester is to observe the YMCA. This exercise is similar to what I will be doing later on and I was intrigued by the different kinds of people. I like observing people's attitudes, dress, actions and their different workout regimes. It is interesting to analyze them and see the differences. I hope to take this and try to answer my question of what makes the YMCA so appealing to Americans.

3. What disturbed me?

I did not find anything too disturbing with this exercise. The workout gym is not somewhere that I feel I will find many things I don't like. Most people are working on keeping themselves in shape, getting healthy and keeping to themselves so there is not much to say about this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment